Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fire alarms raging!

Sayonara iron.  It was destined to happen...we were ironing on borrowed time really...There was a bump...the iron crashed to the ground...things were jostled...irreparably...but we soldiered on...the husband is a 2/3 engineer after all he can work magic on mechanical things...but not all the way magic...just like 4 months magic.  So all quilting and sewing and mechanical crafting has ground to a very unfortunate hault...I wonder if i can get an iron on super sale...tis the season after all...


It was funny, the iron has not been heating up very well, so I've been ironing on luke warm pretty much for a week or so...I should have seen this coming.  But for whatever reason it started getting hot again...I mean...really hot.  There may have been a spark...maybe...I heard spark sounds.  So I have a feeling it was sparking internally.  There were fumes of burning innards...and I guess luckily for me we have a fire alarm directly above the ironing board...So I quickly unplugged...but then what? 


What in the heck do you do with a molten iron?  I of course did the sensible thing...take it outside and plunge it in the snow...Luckily we have a skiff of snow on the ground.  I'm pretty sure the iron burned through the snow and incinerated my layer of fallen leaves in 1 second flat.  So I do that about 10 times...each time it burned through the cold and wet like it was nothing.  Finally after much effort and cold toes, I got the iron down to a low simmer.  Does anybody have some soup they would like me to heat for them?  I think after several minutes out in the frigid air, it is still warm enough to at least make me a grilled cheese sandwich.  Oh well...I am now on the lookout for a deal on an iron.  Any suggestions are welcome.


So, since I will not be working on anything new...the least I can do is show you what I've got in the works...You have been getting a glimpse of it through my unfortunate tale...I have currently been buying very little fabric.  I've been on a bit of a hiatus from the loveliness of fabric shopping...which is just fine.  Luckily I've amassed quite a stash...now most of it, is what I can find on clearance...I don't always make wise choices...but in the case of this quilt...I am pretty happy with the wackiness.  Take for instance the blue fabric...yes, they are cat people...but not only are they cat people...I fancy them as British cat people.  They are very refined and sophisticated.  But even if that's the case...Why on earth did I think I need 3 yards of this?  Don't know.  Don't care.  It's totally awesome fabric.

The pattern is Swoon by Camille Roskelley


 She is so clever the way she has assembled the two quilt block patterns together. Flying Geese and half square triangles. Along with some squares and rectangles of course...


But what you get in the end...


Is sheer awesomeness!  I told Mr. Because I Can that this may just be my favorite quilt EVER!  It's true.  I love the jewel tones of the fabric. I love the crazy patterns of the fabric that I don't think I quite knew what to do with before.  I love the white.  I love the kaleidoscope feel to it.  I just love it!

So...I feel I should have a moral to this story...if your iron becomes made dead...possibly by your own clumsiness.  It is best that you just let it go...and not try and have your husband fix it...just...trust me on this...I am pretty sure it will take me days to get the smell of burning electrical bits out of my house.

2nd moral of the story...buy the pattern Swoon you will love it!


Heather



2 comments:

  1. I do love that pattern. It turned out sweet! Maybe I can just borrow it from you. Someday I will have to borrow something back to you, you know, in recompense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't iron your house burned to the ground. As a side note...I would have used it till mine became molten also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...