Thursday, May 2, 2013

New babies in the house!

For a while now, I have wanted chickens, but my experience with chickens is this...playing in my Great Grandpa's chicken coop...but only the first two, maybe three rooms of the coop.  The rooms further back were scary!!  There were all kinds of farm tools, and spider webs.  I clearly have a lot to learn, but I'm eager and willing to do the work necessary to keep them healthy and happy. I do not know anything about chickens, except for what I have read, and I've read a lot!  So....after much persuading on my part, The Mister finally agreed that we could get our own little flock.  This is going to be one serious learning experience. 

The ladies.  Aren't they so fluffy right now.  Fluffy stage isn't going to last long.  I'm kind of excited for adolescence...they're gonna get kind of gnarly looking.

My girls and I named them.  The Mister is now outnumbered 10 to 1, Female to Male ratio.  What a lucky guy.  Want to meet them?

 Lily, one of our Araucana's.  The darker of the two...and a red head.  Fits right in with our crowd.  She should lay blue or green eggs.  Maybe even pink.

Dolly.  Araucana #2.  We got a dark and a light one so we can see the difference in the eggs they lay.  She was formerly Sally...but Mama decided she looked more like a Dolly.  We're turning country over here.

 Loretta, our Black Sex Link.  She's kinda shy.

 Starlight.  She's a Silver Laced Wyandotte and is so pretty!

Finally, Henny Penny, our Rhode Island Red.

Their accommodations.  In our basement shower.  They can have warmth and peace and quiet...and as long as our family follows the rules, hopefully the cat and dog don't make a snack of them.  The #1 rule is...don't open that door unless Mama or Daddy are with you.

Thanks for reading, excited about our chick adventures to come!



Heather

6 comments:

  1. You will never, ever buy store eggs again. You will be spoilt! Plus, you won't have to color easter eggs (but you can't hard boil them either). SO CUTE! My kids will come chase them around at your house when they are bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited. I can't wait to have really high quality eggs right from my back yard!! I did some research on boiling them, apparently you can do a tiny pin prick and the shells will come off. We will have to wait and see!

      Delete
  2. Loretta is my favorite..I take credit for naming her. Dolly is a zillion times better than Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chickens really aren't that hard, I promise. We have had up to 40 at our place. As for the boiling, take a thumb tack and put a hole in the bottom works great or you can add a little vinegar to the water when you boil them, I prefer the hole method. I highly recomend redstar chicks, they're a cross between rhode island reds and buff orpingtons- rhode islands (in my experience) have bad personalities but lay well and buffs are sweet sweet but don't lay as well. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starlight is going to be my fave for sure!! So cute! Jealous, jealous, jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I want chickens!!!! They are gorgeous Hun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...