Monday, November 4, 2013

Pomegranate....Best Trick Ever!

Luscious red seeds, safely ensconced in wicked, wicked pulp.  Taste good and are so good for you, but such a pain to get out.  What's a seed craving person to do?  Whack em out!

I demonstrated this neat trick to an audience a few weeks ago and received rounds of applause.  My Grandma was astonished.  It's actually because of her expressing a desire to eat them, but feeling sad that pomegranates are so difficult to release their seeds, so she doesn't eat them, that I demonstrated this technique.

Supplies needed: 

Pomegranate, cut in half.  

Large bowl filled halfway with water.   *****EDIT****  I just learned that you do not, in fact, need to fill your bowl with water.  Click here to see another post on whacking the seeds out of a pomegranate. 

Wooden spoon.

Place pomegranate, cut side down in the palm of your hand.  Hold fruit over bowl of water.  Commence beating outside, not too hard, mind, with wooden spoon.  Watch in wonder as the seeds begin to rain down, plopping harmlessly into the water.  The reason for the water,  is so the seeds don't jounce everywhere, like they would if they were landing in just a glass bowl.  Bouncy little suckers.  

Turn the fruit over every once in a while so you can get an idea of where you need to beat it for best results.

Go at it from the side and all over the top.  You don't want to hit too hard, because you can split the skin.  But not too soft either.  You want results.

Some of the white pulp will fall out, but not much.  It is so much easier to pick out the tiny bit of pulp attached to the seeds this way, then by pulling the flesh apart with your fingers.  You also don't get pink hands from this method.  Strain the water out and Ta-Da....pomegranate seeds, the easy way.  

Thanks for reading!

Heather

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I love pomegranate but like your grandma, hate getting the seeds out. I usually make my husband deseed them for me but he usually procrastinates until it's withered. I am totally going to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I didn't even know that it was the seeds you were supposed to eat. Do you eat the flesh too? I've never had one fresh... just already in things, and never made from scratch. I'm intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather you are a genius! I have never tried a pomegranate because I really had no idea what to do with them or how to get the seeds out. I'm going to give one a try. How do you tell when they are ripe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a pomegranate either...um what do you do with them :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is brilliant, did I tell you that pomegrante was what Jack wanted for his birthday when I told him to pick something and dont worry about how much it was LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...